Exercise-induced purpura is a condition seen in athletes and in people engaged in heavy exercise. It may be related to venous stasis or be a traumatic capillaritis.
Features of exercise-induced purpura:
(1) preceded by unusual or heavy muscular activity, often in hot weather
(2) most often seen in the lower extremities
(3) seen in otherwise healthy individual
(4) cannot be explained by another condition (see differential diagnosis below)
(5) may be associated with pain, pruritus or a burning sensation
(6) typically absent in skin covered by socks or compressive clothing
(1) vasculitis or other vascular disorder
(4) blunt trauma
To read more or access our algorithms and calculators, please log in or register.