Renal hypouricemia may be associated with episodes of acute kidney injury (AKI) following exercise.
Renal hypouricemia is a hereditary disorder primarily reported in Japanese and Ashkenazi Jews. It is associated with uric acid wastage from the proximal tubules.
(1) onset of acute kidney injury after exercise, especially intense anaerobic exercise
(2) the chief complain is often severe loin pains occurring several hours after exercise
(3) serum hypouricemia with increased fractional excretion of uric acid
(4) presence of hypouricemia and/or exercise-associated AKI in other family members
(5) exclusion of other causes of hypouricemia
(6) exclusion of other causes of acute kidney injury (rhabdomyolysis, NSAID nephropathy, etc)
To read more or access our algorithms and calculators, please log in or register.
Specialty: Surgery, orthopedic