A patient with Fontan circulation may benefit from exercise and physical training.
Cardiopulmonary exercise testing can be used before starting an exercise program and over time to adapt exercise to abilities and to identify factors that may limit exercise capacity..
Factors contributing to reduced exercise tolerance:
(2) chronotropic incompetence
(4) lung restriction
(5) lack of a subpulmonary pump
Benefits of exercise:
(1) improved peripheral venous return (due to increased muscle mass in the extremities)
(2) improved stroke volume
(3) improved psychological well-being and quality of life
Types of exercise to consider:
(1) leg muscle resistance training
(3) inspiratory muscle training
There should be a means of getting assistance if problems develop.
To read more or access our algorithms and calculators, please log in or register.