A patient with pseudoxanthoma elasticum (PXE) can participate in sports but may need to have a number of restrictions placed..
Restrictions on based on ocular angioid streaks:
(1) Avoid contact sports because relatively minor trauma can result in subretinal hemorrhage.
(2) Wear eye protection.
(3) Immediately report any change in visual acuity.
Restrictions based on peripheral arteriopathy:
(1) Avoid constrictive clothing or protective gear on the extremities.
(2) Look for signs of ischemia (intermittent claudication, hypertension, chest pain).
Restrictions related to risk for upper GI bleeding:
(1) Watch for black tarry stools, pallor or fatigue out of proportion to exertion.
(2) Avoid aspirin, NSAIDs and other drugs that may increase the risk for gastrointestinal hemorrhage.
To read more or access our algorithms and calculators, please log in or register.
Specialty: Surgery, orthopedic, Genetics