The ESSENCE (Efficacy and Safety of Subcutaneous Enoxaparin in Non-Q Wave Coronary Events) Study Group used a number of criteria to grade bleeding associated with heparin therapy.
(1) fatal bleeding
(2) symptomatic intracranial hemorrhage
(3) retroperitoneal hemorrhage
(4) intraocular hemorrhage leading to significant vision loss
(5) decrease in hemoglobin >= 3 g/dL
(6) need for red blood cell transfusion >= 2 units
(1) all other clinically significant bleeding with one of the following:
(1a) interruption of anticoagulation therapy >= 24 hours
(1b) surgical intervention
(1c) transfusion of < 2 units of blood
To read more or access our algorithms and calculators, please log in or register.
Specialty: Hematology Oncology