Nelson et al listed elements of high-quality palliative care for a patient in the intensive care unit (ICU). The authors are from Mount Sinai School of Medicine in New York City.
Items impacting the quality of palliative care in the ICU:
(1) Clinicians communicate with the family in a timely, clear and compassionate way.
(2) Decisions are made based on the patient's goals, values and preferences.
(3) The patient's comfort, dignity and personhood are maintained during care.
(4) The family has open access and proximity to the patient.
(5) Emotional and spiritual support (including bereavement care) is provided to family members.
(6) Support and training is provided to the ICU clinicians.
• Several of these items involve respect.
To read more or access our algorithms and calculators, please log in or register.
Specialty: Critical Care, Emergency Medicine