An electrical storm is a cluster of ventricular tachyarrhythmias within a short period of time. It is associated with increased mortality if not controlled.
Features of electrical storm - all of the following:
(1) cardiac electrical instability
(2) >= 3 episodes of ventricular tachycardia or fibrillation
(3) within a short period of time, typically 24 hours
Risk factors for an electrical storm include:
(1) structural heart disease (ischemic or other cardiomyopathy, other)
(2) drug toxicity or withdrawal
(3) short or prolonged QT
(4) electrolyte imbalances (hypokalemia, other)
(5) acute myocardial infarction
(6) heart failure
(8) implantable cardioverter defibrillator malfunction
To read more or access our algorithms and calculators, please log in or register.