Wigle et al used echocardiography to evaluate a patient with hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. The authors are from the University of Toronto.
(1) thickness of the basal third of the septum (subaortic area)
(2) extension down to the papillary muscles (involving the basal two thirds of the septum)
(3) extension to the apex (involvement of the total septum)
(4) extension to the anterolateral wall
septal thickness (basal third of septum)
< 15 mm
15 - 19 mm
20 - 24 mm
25 - 29 mm
>= 30 mm
extension to the papillary muscles
extension to the apex (total septum)
extension to the anterolateral wall
total score =
= SUM(points for all 4 parameters)
• minimum score: 0
• maximum score: 10
• A higher score correlates with greater obstruction.
To read more or access our algorithms and calculators, please log in or register.
Purpose: To evaluate a patient with hypertrophic cardiomyopathy using the echocardiographic point score of Wigle et al.
Objective: severity, prognosis, stage