Eales Henry described the retinal disorder that bears his name
Features of Eales disease:
(1) venous inflammation (phlebitis) with occlusion causing an obliterative vasculopathy
(2) vascular sheathing
(3) nonperfusion of the peripheral retina
(4) neovascularization of the disc and/or retina
(5) variable vitreous hemorrhage
The diagnosis requires exclusion of other disorders causing vasculopathy or neovascularizaton.
“True” Eales’ disease affects males in India and the Middle East.
(1) retinal detachment
(3) neovascular glaucoma
(4) phthisis bulbi
(5) CNS vasculopathy causing neurologic deficits (cerebellar ataxia, multifocal white matter abnormalities, ischemic stroke)
To read more or access our algorithms and calculators, please log in or register.