Lakey et al identified donor-related factors affecting the recovery of islet cells for transplantation into a diabetic. The authors are from the University of Alberta in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.
Factors favoring islet cell recovery:
(1) older age (maximum for > 50 years of age, lowest for < 19 years of age)
(2) body mass index (BMI) > 25 kg per square meter
(3) duration of cardiac arrest <= 5 minutes
(4) duration of cold storage prior to islet cell isolation <= 8 hours
(5) local procurement team
(6) minimum blood glucose <= 15 mmol/L (270 mg/dL)
Although islet cell recovery for an older adult was greater, the functional activity of the recovered islet was better for a younger patient.
To read more or access our algorithms and calculators, please log in or register.
Specialty: Gastroenterology, Endocrinology, Surgery, general