Seo et al developed a disease activity index for evaluating a patient with ulcerative colitis. This can be used to monitor a patient over time.
(1) blood stools
(2) number of bowel movements per day
(3) erythrocyte sedimentation rate (ESR) in mm in first hour
(4) hemoglobin in g/dL
(5) albumin in g/dL
none or llittle
number of BM per day
0 to 4
5 to 7
8 or more
• points = (score) * (weight)
• The greater the anemia and hypoalbuminemia, the greater disease severity.
total score =
= SUM(points for all 5 parameters) + 200
• The minimum score with all normal values would be around 100.
• The maximum score with all abnormal values could reach 300.
To read more or access our algorithms and calculators, please log in or register.