Abnormal sweating (sweat = sudor) may be a manifestation of diabetic autonomic neuropathy.
Patient selection: presence of diabetes, usually Type 1
(1) hyperhidrosis over face and trunk (central)
(2) hypohidrosis or anhidrosis over the extremities (peripheral)
(3) may be accompanied by other signs of autonomic neuropathy
(4) excessive sweating may be triggered by eating (gustatory sweating), stress or at night (nocturnal hyperhidrosis)
(5) impaired handling of a thermal load, with risk for heat stroke or hyperthermia
To read more or access our algorithms and calculators, please log in or register.