People who wear dentures may develop pain in the mouth associated with Candida growing below the dentures.
(1) erythema beneath a denture, typically the upper
(2) may be associated angular stomatitis
(1) wearing the dentures for long periods, including overnight
(2) poor oral hygiene
(3) poor denture care (poorly cleaned dentures)
(5) high carbohydrate diet
(6) poorly fitting dentures, causing recurrent trauma
(7) allergy to the denture or denture adhesives
(8) diabetes mellitus
(9) immunodeficiency (corticosteroids, HIV, chemotherapy, transplant, etc)
(10) oral radiation
The diagnosis can be confirmed by a fungal culture of the dentures.
(1) malnutrition with vitamin deficiencies
(2) smoking-related discomfort
To read more or access our algorithms and calculators, please log in or register.