A delusion may be shared by a small group of persons. This is referred to as "folie" (French for madness or lunacy).
(1) The presence of a situation generating strong emotions (death, loss, strife, etc.).
(2) The primary delusion is developed by a strong-willed individual of a group.
(3) Other members of the group share the same delusion (folie partage) because of:
(3a) domination by the strong-willed person
(3b) excessive devotion or misplaced loyalty
(3c) excessive desire to maintain harmony in the group
(4) The delusion may last from a few weeks to many years.
(5) The delusion is maintained despite the absence of objective data.
The shared delusion may involve a variety of conditions, such as parasitic infestation (delusional parasitosis). The group may visit many physicians or other health care providers.
Number of People Involved
folie a deux
folie a trois
folie a quatre
folie a cinq
folie a six
To read more or access our algorithms and calculators, please log in or register.