Myospasm of masticatory muscles can result in orofacial pain.
Myospasm is associated with continuous involuntary muscle contraction.
Criteria for myospasm - all of the following:
(1) acute onset of pain at rest or with muscle use
(2) markedly reduced range of motion
(3) pain aggravated with use of the affected muscle
(4) EMG activity greatly increased compared to that at rest
(5) sensation of muscle tightness, cramping or stiffness
To read more or access our algorithms and calculators, please log in or register.