Hawton et al listed the criteria for an action constituting deliberate self-harm. The authors are from Warneford Hospital and the Institute for Health Sciences in Oxford, England.
Features of an action to constitute deliberate self-harm:
(1) The action is done deliberately.
(2) The action is intended to be injurious and to cause harm.
(3) The action may include one or more of the following:
(3a) self-cutting or hitting
(3b) jumping from a height
(3c) overdosing on a medication
(3d) overdosing on a drug of abuse, including alcohol
(3e) swallowing a foreign body
(3f) ingesting a hazardous substance
(1) suicide intent
(2) accident (including while intoxicated)
(3) eating disorder (anorexia, bulimia)
To read more or access our algorithms and calculators, please log in or register.
Specialty: Psychiatry, Clinical Laboratory