A cysticercus cyst may be alive or dead. Certain features can help to identify a cyst that is still viable.
Features of a viable cysticercus cyst - one or more of the following:
(1) vesicle shows undulating movements
(2) scolex shows periodic evaginations
(3) scolex shows motility, especially after being stimulated by light
(4) change in location with time
(5) poking after surgical removal (best seen under a dissecting microscope)
To read more or access our algorithms and calculators, please log in or register.
Specialty: Infectious Diseases