A patient with cystic fibrosis should be considered for double lung transplantation when certain findings are present.
Indications for referring a patient for lung transplant include one or more of the following:
(1) FEV1 postbronchodilator <= 30% of predicted
(2) resting hypoxia (PO2 < 55-60 mm Hg on room air)
(3) hypercapnia (PaCO2 > 50 mm Hg on room air)
(4) FEV1 > 30% of predicted with worsening clinical course (unintended weight loss, increasing frequency and severity of exacerbations, rapidly deteriorating lung function, massive hemoptysis)
(5) FEV1 > 30% of predicted in a female < 18 years of age
• Females less than 18 years of age tend to have a worse prognosis and so should be considered for early referral.
Indications for heart-lung transplantation: cor pulmonale
Contraindications to transplantation:
(1) colonization with antibiotic resistant Pseudomonas species or Burkholderia cepacia
(2) pulmonary aspergilloma
(3) pulmonary mycobacteria
(4) general contraindication for lung transplantation
To read more or access our algorithms and calculators, please log in or register.
Specialty: Pulmonology, Surgery, general