Transplantation of the small bowel may be contraindicated in a patient with risk factors associated with poor outcome or only short term survival.
(1) unresectable cancer
(2) severe immunodeficiency (congenital or acquired)
(3) advanced heart and/or lung disease
(4) advanced neurological dysfunction
(5) severe psychiatric disorder
(6) significant noncompliance with instructions
(7) inadequate vascular access
Absolute contraindications - potentially temporary:
(1) septicemia with multi-organ failure
(1) age > 65 years, especially with comorbid conditions
(2) history of cancer within the past 5 years AND significant risk for recurrence
(3) severe physical debilitation
(4) poor social and/or familial support
To read more or access our algorithms and calculators, please log in or register.
Specialty: Gastroenterology, General Surgery