Congenital chloride diarrhea is a rare condition associated with severe diarrhea starting soon after birth.
Inheritance: autosomal recessive
Gene affected: SLC26A3 (solute carrier family 26, member 3)
(1) The patient has a severe diarrhea that starts soon after birth.
(2) The patient is dehydrated.
(3) The diarrheal fluid is watery and high in chloride.
(4) The diarrheal fluid shows a low pH.
(5) The blood shows hypochloremic metabolic alkalosis.
(6) Urine chloride is low.
(7) No other condition explains the findings better.
To read more or access our algorithms and calculators, please log in or register.