A number of conditions may mimic torsion of an ovary. These need to be considered when evaluating the patient.
Conditions that may mimic ovarian torsion include :
(1) torsion of the fallopian tube
(2) ectopic pregnancy
(3) hemorrhagic corpus luteum or follicular cyst
(4) ovarian cystadenoma
(5) hypervascular nonepithelial primary ovarian tumor
(6) necrotic metastatic tumor
(7) massive ovarian edema
(8) polycystic ovary syndrome
(9) ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome (OHSS)
(10) infarction of a pedunculated subserosal or broad ligament leiomyoma
To read more or access our algorithms and calculators, please log in or register.
Specialty: Obstetrics & Gynecology