Rhinitis may occur as a result of many conditions, some of which may occur simultaneously.
Rhinitis is often classified initially as allergic or non-allergic.
(2) episodic exposure to an allergen, including food allergy
(1) atrophic rhinitis
(2) emotional rhinitis
(4) gustatory rhinitis
(6) female hormone-related (menstrual, pregnancy, oral contraceptive)
(7) viral rhinitis
(8) other acute infectious rhinitis
(9) chronic infectious rhinosinusitis
(10) environmental (triggered by temperature or humidity)
(12) drug abuse
(13) smoke or air pollution
(14) rhinitis medicamentosa
(15) other medication-related
(16) nonallergic rhinitis with eosinophilia syndrome (NARES)
(17) autoimmune disease and/or vasculitis
(18) vasomotor (idiopathic)
To read more or access our algorithms and calculators, please log in or register.
Specialty: Otolaryngology, Infectious Diseases, Immunology/Rheumatology