Prior et al used a composite score to evaluate neonates following delivery. The authors are from Queen Charlotte's and Chelsea Hospital and Imperial College London.
Patient selection: neonate soon after birth
(1) Apgar score
(2) arterial pH in cord blood
(3) base excess in mmol/L
(4) admission to the neonatal ICU
>= 7 at 1 minute
< 7 at 5 minutes
< 7 at 1 minute but >= 7 at 5 minutes
arterial pH cord blood
7.10 to 7.19
7.00 to 7.09
>= -8 mmol/L
-12 to -8.1
< -12 mmol/L
neonatal ICU admission
• Acidosis is associated with a more negative base excess.
• The normal range for base excess in neonates is -10to -2 mmol/L (Wu AHB. Tietz Clinical Guide to Laboratory Tests, Fourth Edition. 2006).
total score =
= SUM(points for all 4 parameters)
• minimum score: 0
• maximum score: 8
• The higher the score the more severe the neonate's condition.
To read more or access our algorithms and calculators, please log in or register.