Swimming goggles have many benefits but they can also be associated with a number of hazards.
Hazards that may occur with swimming goggles:
(1) suction purpura (associated with negative pressure while wearing the goggles)
(2) petechiae and purpura associated with blunt trauma (purpura goggelorum)
(3) corneal erosions from chemicals used as anti-fogging agents
(4) ocular trauma if the goggles are pulled out and then allowed to snap back
(5) ocular trauma following lens shattering
(6) allergic contact dermatitis with periorbital erythema, pruritis, vesicles, etc.
(7) edema of the eyelids
(8) peri-orbital hematoma
To read more or access our algorithms and calculators, please log in or register.
Specialty: Surgery, orthopedic