Wearing a pessary may be associated with a number of complications.
Complications associated with wearing a pessary:
(1) vaginal infection
(2) vaginal discharge
(3) offensive odor
(4) vaginal pain
(5) vaginal mucosal erosions
(6) vaginal bleeding
(7) allergic reaction (especially if a latex pessary is used)
Problems associated with the pessary:
(1) failure to control symptoms associated with prolapse
(2) difficult to retain in situ (explusion)
Complications can be reduced by:
(1) Proper fitting.
(2) Regular cleaning of the pessary.
(3) Maintaining vaginal hygiene.
(4) Using a material to which the patient is not allergic.
(5) Using a topical estrogen cream prior to and during use to minimize vaginal dryness.
To read more or access our algorithms and calculators, please log in or register.
Specialty: Obstetrics & Gynecology