A complicated suicide is one in which the process does not go as planned.
Features of a complicated suicide:
(1) a suicide attempt is made
(2) the method is unsuccessful in killing the person
(3) the person suffers an unintended accidental traumatic injury
If the person does not die, then it could be termed a complicated attempted suicide.
Factors contributing to accidental injury:
(1) confusion secondary to drug, hypoxia, etc.
(2) environmental factors associated with suicide method
(1) complex suicide, in which the person intentionally performs a second form of self-harm to complete the job
To read more or access our algorithms and calculators, please log in or register.
Specialty: Clinical Laboratory, Psychiatry, Emergency Medicine