A deficiency in essential fatty acids can result in a number of clinical findings.
General features of a deficiency in essential fatty acids:
(1) dermatitis with dry and scaly skin
(2) increased susceptibility to infection (associated with a deficiency in arachadonic acid and leukotrienes)
(3) sparse hair growth or alopecia
(4) increased platelet aggregation
(5) increased capillary fragility
(6) poor wound healing
(7) hepatic steatosis
Clinical features in neonates:
(1) failure to thrive
(2) poor nitrogen retention
To read more or access our algorithms and calculators, please log in or register.