Unverricht-Lundborg Disease (EPM1) is a neurodegenerative disease with onset during the pediatric period.
Chromosome locus: 21q22.3
Gene: CSTB (pathogenic variants include dodecamer repeat expansion)
Protein affected: cystatin B (a cysteine protease inhibitor)
Inheritance: autosomal recessive
The onset is between 6 and 15 years of age.
(1) tonic-clonic epileptic seizures.
(2) stimulus sensitive myoclonus (mycoclonic jerks)
(3) ataxia and incoordination
(4) intentional tremor
(6) emotional lability and/or depression
(7) intellectual decline that is usually mild
MRI of the brain is normal.
The EEG is always abnormal and may show photosensitive paroxysms.
To read more or access our algorithms and calculators, please log in or register.