A number of clinical and laboratory findings may be found in a patient with a leaking colonic anastomosis.
(1) abdominal pain
(3) signs of peritonitis (rebound tenderness, etc)
(5) purulent and/or feculent drainage
(6) gross enteric spillage with peritonitis noted at reoperation
(7) anastomotic breakdown at reoperation
(2) positive bacterial cultures of drainage or from blood
(1) fluid collections within the abdomen
(2) leakage of contrast material
To read more or access our algorithms and calculators, please log in or register.
Specialty: Gastroenterology, Orthopedic Surgery, General Surgery