Rao classified the severity of pulmonic valve insufficiency based on findings on Doppler echocardiography. The author is from the Saint Louis University School of Medicine.
(1) ratio for the width of flow jet to the diameter of the pulmonic valve annulus in precordial short axis view
(2) evidence of right ventricular overload
ratio of the width of the flow jet to pulmonic valve annulus =
= (width of the jet in mm) / (diameter of the pulmonary valve annulus)
Criteria for right ventricular overload:
(1) right ventricular dimension > 95th percentile (enlarged)
(2) septal motion flat to paradoxical
Ratio of Jet Width to Annulus
Right Ventricular Overload
11 - 25%
25 - 50%
• The jet width is used because it is not affected by the pressure in the pulmonary artery.
To read more or access our algorithms and calculators, please log in or register.