Postoperative pulmonary complications can be classified based on their severity.
(4) dyspnea and hypoxemia
(8) pleural effusion
(9) intubation and ventilation
(10) adverse reaction to pulmonary medication
productive, not due to other cause
pre-existent and results in a change in therapy
not due to other documented cause
transient but requiring treatment
present, resulting in thoracentesis
intubation and ventilation
intubation postoperative with ventilator dependence <= 48 hours
ventilator dependence > 48 hours
adverse reaction to pulmonary medication
• Microatelectasis is associated with abnormal lung findings and a temperature > 37.5°C without other documented cause and with normal or unavailable chest X-ray.
• Atelectasis is associated with abnormal chest X-ray and either abnormal lung findings or a temperature > 37.5°C.
• Intubation may involve reintubation or continued use of tube placed for surgery.
To read more or access our algorithms and calculators, please log in or register.
Specialty: Pulmonology, Surgery, general