A report of an investigation into a waterborne disease outbreak can be classified based on the quality of the data.
(1) adequacy of the epidemiologic data
(2) adequacy of the water quality data
Water Quality Data
not provided or inadequate
• In theory there could be additional classes if the epidemiologic data is not provided.
• Adequate epidemiologic data provides adequate data to assess risk in exposed and unexposed persons. The relative risk or odds ratio is >= 2.0 or the p value is <= 0.05.
• Limited epidemiologic data includes failure to include sufficient data to support claims (for example, that persons who were ill had no exposures in common).
• Adequate water quality data includes complete laboratory data and pertinent historical information.
To read more or access our algorithms and calculators, please log in or register.