Transfusion of blood products can results in circulatory overload if the amount or rate of infused products exceeds the body's capacity for handling the influx.
(4) pulmonary edema with rales
(5) chest tightness
(2) elevated blood pressure
(1) pedal or dependent edema
Patients at risk:
(1) age extremes (very young and adults > 60 years of age)
(2) cardiac disease, especially heart failure
(3) renal failure
(4) large volume of infused fluids
(5) severe anemia (hemoglobin < 6 g/dL)
To read more or access our algorithms and calculators, please log in or register.
Specialty: Clinical Laboratory