Rowing and its training regimen place significant loads on the patellofemoral joint.
Risk factors for chondromalacia patella:
(1) rigorous rowing
(2) training to strengthen the quadriceps (stair running, squat jumps, etc)
(3) genu valgum or genu varum
(4) pre-existing chondromalacia patella
Clinical features of chondromalacia patella:
(1) anterior knee pain during exertion
(2) knee pain when using stairs
(5) clicking while rowing
(6) lateral patellar facet tenderness
(7) tight quadriceps
To read more or access our algorithms and calculators, please log in or register.
Specialty: Surgery, orthopedic