Splenosis refers to autotransplantation of splenic tissue in various parts of the body following a rupture of the spleen.
Causes of splenosis:
(1) penetrating injury to the spleen, including surgery
(2) blunt trauma to the spleen with rupture
(3) rupture of the spleen during splenectomy
(4) spontaneous rupture of the spleen (associated with infectious mononucleosis, etc)
(5) intentional (for patients with schistosomiasis or other forms of portal hypertension)
To read more or access our algorithms and calculators, please log in or register.
Specialty: Hematology Oncology, Clinical Laboratory