Adipose tissue may be found within the globe if certain conditions are present.
Patient selection: intraocular adipose tissue
Causes of intraocular adipose tissue:
(1) orbital fat transported by penetrating foreign body
(2) adipose tissue within intraocular metaplastic bone
(3) fat emboli
(4) dermoid or dermolipoma arising in the limbus or cornea
(5) congenital malformation of the optic nerve
(6) congenital ocular malformation (persistent hyperplastic vitreous, abnormal differentiation at the angle of the anterior chamber)
To read more or access our algorithms and calculators, please log in or register.