Hematocolpometra consists of blood (hemato-) filling the vagina (colpo-) and uterine cavity (metra). It may be associated with a number of conditions.
Causes of hematocolpometra:
(1) imperforate hymen
(2) anomalies of the vagina (congenital absence, duplication, etc)
(3) graft-vs-host disease (GVHD) involving the walls of the vagina
(4) infection involving the vagina, cervix and endocervix
(5) other inflammatory conditions causing synecchiae and strictures with stenosis of the lower vagina
(6) radiation therapy to the pelvis
(7) history of pelvic or perineal trauma
To read more or access our algorithms and calculators, please log in or register.
Specialty: Obstetrics & Gynecology