Pole vaulting can be more hazardous than it looks. Injuries can occur when the person falls outside of the prepared landing surface.
Reasons for fall:
(1) pole broke
(2) problem in technique
(1) landing on the vault box (where the end of the pole inserts)
(2) landing off or on the side of the landing pad
Types of injuries:
(1) head injury
(2) injury to cervical spine or brainstem
(3) thoracic or lumbar vertebral fracture
(4) pelvic fracture
(5) rib fracture and/or pneumothorax
(6) intra-abdominal blunt trauma
To read more or access our algorithms and calculators, please log in or register.