Chlorine bleach (Clorox, sodium hypochlorite) can be used as a dilution for cleaning or disinfection.
Concentrations of sodium hypochlorite:
(1) household: 5.25%
(2) industrial strength: 12.5%
(3) homemade: based as a percent weight per volume
(1) 1:5 (1 part bleach stock, 4 parts water)
(2) 1:10 (1 part bleach stock, 9 parts water)
(3) 1:20 (1 part bleach stock, 19 parts water)
(4) 1:100 (1 part bleach stock, 99 parts water)
volume for each component =
= (number of parts) / (total parts) * (volume of final solution)
A dilute solution made for disinfection should be used within 24 hours.
To read more or access our algorithms and calculators, please log in or register.
Specialty: Infectious Diseases