Balint is a rare syndrome of visual impairment that may be caused by several conditions.
Features of Balint Syndrome:
(1) deficit in visual perception
(2) unable to recognize more than 1 object at a time (simultagnosia)
(3) optic ataxia (deficit in reaching a visual goal)
(4) oculomotor apraxia (deficit of controlled, voluntary and purposeful eye movements)
Conditions that may cause Balint syndrome:
(1) bilateral occipitoparietal strokes
(2) posterior reversible encephalopathy syndrome
(3) hypoxic encephalopathy after cardiopulmonary arrest
(4) Creutzfeldt-Jacob disease
(5) near drowning
(6) metastatic tumors to the brain
(7) HIV encephalitis
To read more or access our algorithms and calculators, please log in or register.