Factor H is a control protein in the complements system. Autoantibodies against Factor H can trigger an atypical hemolytic uremic syndrome (HUS).
Synonym: deficiency of CFHR (complement Factor H related) plasma proteins, Factor H autoantibody positive, hemolytic uremic syndrome (DEAP-HUS)
(1) homozygous deletion of CFHR1 and CFHR3 genes
(2) autoantibodies against Factor H
(3) hemolytic uremic syndrome with renal failure
(4) decreased serum C3 concentrations
(5) decrease Factor H activity in plasma with normal antigenic levels
(6) no evidence of Shiga toxin
The autoantibodies interfere with Factor H surface binding functions, which results in defective regulation of the alternative pathway. Activation of the alternate pathway results in endothelial damage.
To read more or access our algorithms and calculators, please log in or register.
Specialty: Hematology Oncology