Fear of spiders (arachnophobia) is relatively common. It can have serious consequences depending on the circumstances.
Arachnophobia is an intense and irrational fear of spiders (or anxiety triggered by the image of a spider). It is perfectly rational to be afraid of some spiders.
(1) It tends to be more common in females.
(2) It may vary in severity (ranging from fear of any spider or spider image to only certain kinds).
(3) The person may be aware that there is actually little threat involved.
(4) It is amenable to deconditioning in many cases if the patient is committed.
This can be hazardous if the person encounters a spider unexpectely. Dangerous situations may involve:
(1) the person is driving or flying a plane
(2) the person has underlying heart disease
(3) someone does it as a prank (the danger is to the prankster)
(4) the person has taken hallucinogens
To read more or access our algorithms and calculators, please log in or register.