The serum antioxidant gap is based on the total serum antioxidant activity adjusted for serum albumin and uric acid.
antioxidant gap =
= (serum total antioxidant activity in mmol/L) - (0.69 * (serum albumin in mmol/L)) - (uric acid in mmol/L)
• The molecular weight of albumin is 66,460 daltons. 1 g/dL = 0.15046 mmol/L; 1 g/L = 0.015046 mmol/L.
• The Trolox equivalent antioxidant capacity (TEAC) for albumin is 0.69.
• The molecular weight for uric acid is 168.11 daltons. 1 mg/dL = 0.059485 mmol/L.
• The Trolox equivalent antioxidant capacity (TEAC) for uric acid is 1.
• Total antioxidant activity was measured using the ferrylmyoglobin/ABTS assay.
change in antioxidant gap =
= (initial antioxidant gap) - (final antioxidant gap)
• A decline in the antioxidant gap (positive change) following myocardial infarction is associated with a higher mortality.
To read more or access our algorithms and calculators, please log in or register.
Specialty: Endocrinology, Clinical Laboratory