Most patients undergoing a nondental procedure do not require antibiotic prophylaxis to prevent infective endocarditis.
Indications for antibiotic prophylaxis - both of the following:
(1) presence of active infection
(2) presence of high risk heart condition
High risk heart condition includes:
(1) prosthetic heart valve
(2) heart valve repaired with prosthetic material
(3) history of infective endocarditis
(4) unrepaired cyanotic congenital heart disease
(5) palliated cyanotic congenital heart disease
(6) completely repaired congenital heart disease with prosthetic material
(7) repaired congenital heart disease with residual defect and prosthetic material
To read more or access our algorithms and calculators, please log in or register.
Purpose: To identify a patient who should receive prophylactic antibiotics to prevent infective endocarditis prior to a nondental procedure.
Specialty: Infectious Diseases, Pharmacology, clinical
Objective: pharmacogenetics, prevention
ICD-10: I33, Z79.2,