A patient with Crohn's disease may develop anemia. The anemia is often multifactorial and may take skill to correct.
Patient selection: Crohn's disease
Impact of anemia:
(1) worse quality of life
(2) easy fatiguability and impaired exercise capacity
(3) impaired cognition
Differential diagnosis of anemia in Crohn's disease:
(1) iron deficiency
(2) anemia of chronic disease
(3) anemia of malnutrition (protein, vitamins, micronutrients)
(4) erythropoietin deficiency
(5) autoimmune hemolytic anemia
(6) aplastic anemia
(7) adverse drug effect
To read more or access our algorithms and calculators, please log in or register.
Specialty: Hematology Oncology