The American Society for Apheresis (AFSA) listed s number of indications for urgent plasma exchange.
Category I indications – clearly appropriate:
(1) thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura (TTP)
(2) hyperviscosity syndrome (leukocyte, platelets, monoclonal protein)
(3) myasthenia gravis
(4) acute inflammatory demyelinating polyneuropathy
Category II indications:
(1) catastrophic antiphospholipid syndrome
(2) intoxication with drug or toxin with a favorable distribution
Category III indications – may be appropriate in selected patients:
(1) severe acute pancreatitis secondary to hypertriglyceridemia
(2) acute fulminant hepatitis
To read more or access our algorithms and calculators, please log in or register.
Specialty: Clinical Laboratory, Hematology Oncology, Immunology/Rheumatology