A person who abuses “poppers” (alkyl nitrites) may develop a maculopathy.
Alkyl groups may include amyl, isopropyl, isobutyl
(1) heavy and frequent use
(2) isopropyl nitrite
(1) bilateral decrease in visual acuity, rarely with blindness
(2) central photopsia (flashes of light)
(3) central scotoma
(4) improvement on discontinuation (abstinence)
Findings on the examination:
(1) yellowish spots in the fovea (in the center of the macula)
(2) disruption of the inner segment/outer segment (IS/OS) segment photoreceptor junction on spectral domain optical coherence tomography (SD-OCT)
(1) photic maculopathy (due to looking at bright lights)
(2) HIV-related ophthalmic infections
To read more or access our algorithms and calculators, please log in or register.
Specialty: Ophthalmology, Toxicology