Mass drug administration programs against lymphatic filariasis can result in a number of adverse effects associated with the death of the filaria and the host response.
Mechanism: allergic/immune response to dead filaria; local tissue reaction to dead filaria
Adverse events include:
(1) transient lymphedema
(2) scrotal swelling (in males)
(3) skin nodules or subcutaneous swellings
(4) lymphadenitis (axilla, groin)
(5) systemic reaction (fever, headache, myalgia)
(1) toxic effects of medications
(2) comorbid condition
To read more or access our algorithms and calculators, please log in or register.
Specialty: Infectious Diseases