The absolute phagocyte count (APC) is the sum of absolute counts for circulating phagocytic white blood cells.
(1) total white blood cell count
(2) percent band forms
(3) percent polymorphonuclear leukocytes (PMNs)
(4) percent monocytes
absolute phagocyte count =
= (absolute band count) + (absolute PMN count) + (absolute monocyte count)
absolute component count =
= (percent component from 0 to 100) / 100 * (total white blood cell count)
• PMNs usually refer to neutrophils.
• The criteria for band forms needs to be specified to minimize variation between observers.
• A rise in the APC can be used to monitor bone marrow recovery following chemotherapy.
To read more or access our algorithms and calculators, please log in or register.
Specialty: Hematology Oncology, Clinical Laboratory, Infectious Diseases